Working with doctors and other healthcare professionals can be an important part to a healthy, active, and independent lifestyle. Some things our Independent Living residents may find especially helpful to discuss are: What to expect in the future, sources of information and support, community services, and ways they can maintain their own well-being.
When going to a doctor, here are a few tips that may also help you:
- Have you just moved to the area and are seeing the doctor for the first time? Get new-patient forms and fill them out before getting to the doctor’s office so you don’t feel rushed filling them out. Either visit the doctor’s website or call the office’s main line to find out if forms are available to be sent in advance.
- Give the new doctor all your former doctors’ names and addresses, especially if they are in a different city. This is to help your new doctor get copies of your medical records. Your doctor will ask you to sign a medical release form giving him or her permission to request your records.
- Make a list of what you want to discuss.
- Also bring a list of questions, starting with what is most important, and take notes on what the doctor recommends. Both the questions and the notes you write down can be helpful later, as well as a reminder of what the doctor said.
- Bring a list of ALL medicines and dietary supplements you are taking, both prescription and over-the-counter, and include the dosage and schedule. If you see several different doctors, one may not necessarily know what another has prescribed.
- If things are unclear, don’t be embarrassed. Ask follow-up questions so you understand fully what is being discussed.
Ask how the office runs. Learn what days are busiest and what times are best to call. Ask what to do if there is an emergency, or if you need a doctor when the office is closed.
If you or your loved one is looking for a community offering standalone Independent Living in Panama City Beach, Florida, call us at (850) 704-5177 to get more details on how a senior living community like ours might just be a perfect fit.